Hungary is a country in Central Europe. Spanning 93,030 square kilometres (35,920 sq mi) of the Carpathian Basin, it is bordered by Slovakia to the north, Ukraine to the northeast, Romania to the east and southeast, Serbia to the south, Croatia and Slovenia to the southwest, and Austria to the west. Hungary is a landlocked country. Hungary has a population of 10 million, mostly ethnic Hungarians and a significant Romani minority. Although Hungarian is the country’s official language, dozens of universities across the country offer programmes that are fully taught in English. Across all academic disciplines, there are hundreds of study programmes in English available for international students. Hungary claims no official religion and guarantees religious freedom.
Studying in Hungary
- Hungary is well-regarded for its medical schools and dental schools, many of which offer tailored programmes for foreign students. The best-ranked university in Hungary, and usually among the top 500 universities worldwide, is the University of Szeged.
- Universities in Hungary offer high quality education at affordable tuition fees compared to other countries in Europe
- Hungary is a modern and safe country, but the cost of living are among the lowest in Europe.
- Hungary is a diverse, multicultural nation with lots of fun experiences for foreign students.
- Hungary is an increasingly popular host country for international students owing to Stipendium Hungaricum, Latin for “Hungarian Scholarship”. The scholarship is very generous: It includes tuition fees, medical insurance, a housing allowance and a monthly stipend. Every year, the Stipendium Hungaricum is awarded to around 5,000 students from over 70 partner countries.
- Finding a job in Hungary as a student can be difficult, however international students can register at student work agencies and get valuable information about available jobs. However, as an international student you will have a better chance of getting a job if you can communicate in Hungarian language.
Cost of Tuition in Hungary
Hungarian universities charge tuition fees, but compared to other countries in Europe they are very affordable. Depending on the university and the programme, tuition fees may vary.
Undergraduate Tuition range: EUR 4009 – EUR 11,298/year
Postgraduate Tuition range : EUR 3353 – EUR 5831/year.
How do I apply to study at Hungary?
Start by choosing a degree program that is right for you. You should also get the necessary documents ready before applying. These may include:
- International Passport / Passport Authentication
- Passport Photographs (6)
- Sponsorship Letter (Notarized)
- Bank Statement (Minimum of Three Million Naira)
- Bank Reference Letter
- WAEC / NECO or any qualified high school certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Academic References (2)
- Medical Certificate
- Police Clearance
- University Certificate and Transcripts (Masters only)
What do I need to get a student visa to Hungary?
International students studying in Hungary will require a residence permit to stay in the country long enough to finish their chosen qualification.
When you have accepted a place at a university you will need to contact the nearest Hungarian embassy or consulate to know the exact student visa process and requirements for your nationality.
Below is the process of acquiring a visa:
- Accept an offer to study at a Hungarian university
- Contact your nearest Hungary embassy or consulate to arrange for your type D visa appointment (no more than three months before your program starts)
- At the embassy or consulate provide a completed application form, passport, biometrics and application fee
- Provide any necessary proof of your educational background and finances
- Wait up to a month, and receive a decision on your visa
- Travel to Hungary and collect your residence permit within 30 days
When applying for a visa or residence permit to study in Hungary you may need the following:
- University acceptance letter
- Proof of any money sent to the university for fees or accommodation
- Proof of finances
- Translated and certified education transcripts
- An English language proficiency test score
- Health insurance
- Details of your accommodation arrangements in Hungary