Does over 300 days of sunshine a year and a summer stretching from May to October, with a Mediterranean climate sound like your perfect study abroad destination? Then Cyprus might just be the place for you.
Officially called the Republic of Cyprus, it is an island nation in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It is the third largest and third most populous island in the Mediterranean, with a population of about 1.1 million people and is located at the crossroad of Africa, Asia, and Europe, more specifically to the south of Turkey. Cyprus is also a member state of the European Union. Although Greek is the most commonly spoken language, the majority of the young adults and teens speak English as well. Cyprus has the warmest climate (and warmest winters) in the Mediterranean part of the European Union and boasts rich natural beauty, unique vegetation, golden beaches, and clear waters.
Why study in Cyprus?
- 1st safest small country in the world
- 2nd best climate worldwide with 340 days of shine every year
- The most blue flag beaches per coastline
- 5th best relocation destination in the world.
- Highest tertiary education percentage in the European Union (54.6%)
- Diversity of international students (students from 50+ different countries study in Cyprus)
- 12,000 years of history through museums, archeological and religious sites as well as a diverse explosion of culture.
- 80% of the population is bilingual (Greek & English)
Education in Cyprus
Higher education in Cyprus is provided in both public and private institutions. Students can choose from different institutions of higher education at which to pursue a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree. On average, a bachelor’s degree will take four years, while a master’s can be completed in one to two years. The length it takes to complete a doctorate degree varies widely, but on average, it can take anywhere from three to five years.
In addition to the well-ranked universities in the country, the cost of studying in Cyprus is also very reasonable. Cyprus provides a great opportunity for students to study in different fields such as finance, art, music, and medical and paramedical fields.
The degrees obtained from the Republic of Cyprus are accredited worldwide as the education in Cyprus is registered under the Erasmus system.
Cost of Tuition in Cyprus
- Estimated Undergraduate Tuition: Between €2800 – €7200.
- Estimated Postgraduate Tuition: Between €5500 – €12800.
Scholarships are available for qualified applicants and can range from about 25%-75% depending on the institution and type of grant.
How do I apply to study in Cyprus?
- Start by choosing a degree program that is right for you. Select the level of studies you are looking for (bachelor, master, PhD), and your field of study.
- Get relevant documents ready, which includes high school or university transcripts, letter of motivation, recommendation letter and a portfolio of previous work where applicable. You may also need to pass an English proficiency test like TOEFL.
- Depending on the university, specific documentation could be required. Always consult the university website for specific admission requirements.
With all the paperwork ready, you can then go ahead to fill your application form and depending on the school, an application fee may or may not be required.
How do I get a Visa to study in Cyprus?
You need a Cyprus student visa if you are not a citizen of EU/EEA/Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland (EFTA) or want to study in Cyprus for a period longer than 90 days. All foreign students are required to obtain a student permit within 90 days of entry into TRC (Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus). Upon arrival into TRNC, submit your university acceptance or invitation document to the migration officer to get a student entry visa that is valid for 90 days. After obtaining a student entry visa, you must complete your student registration process for the university. Once you have completed your university registration, you will need to start enrolling in the Online Immigration System at Northern Cyprus Immigration Office.
Before leaving your home country, you should make sure to bring:
- A fully completed and signed Cyprus entry visa application form .
- Letter of acceptance from the Cyprus educational institution.
- Four (4) passport-size photographs, taken in front of a white background.
- Money in cash for the accommodation and living expenses.
- Certificate of police clearance from police authorities in your country.
- Travel health insurance.
- Your International passport, which must be valid for at least one (1) year from the day of entry into Cyprus.
- After you enter Cyprus, you are also required to undergo a medical examination.