You want to go skiing in winter or sunbathing in summer? Or you prefer spring and its lovely colours in the mountains or enjoy autumn and explore the mountains? Then this picturesque European country might just be the place for you.
Bulgaria, officially the Republic of Bulgaria is a country in Southeast Europe, occupying a portion of the eastern Balkan peninsula, bordering five countries—Greece and Turkey to the south, Macedonia and Serbia to the west, and Romania to the north. It is a member of the European Union. Bulgaria covers a territory of 110,994 square kilometres (42,855 sq mi), and is the sixteenth-largest country in Europe.The official language of Bulgaria is Bulgarian and although most subjects are taught in Bulgarian, there are quite a few programmes offered in foreign languages which are mainly English, French, and German. Either way, you need to prove you have sufficient knowledge of the language you decide to study in. You don’t need to worry, if you can’t however as every university in Bulgaria gives you the opportunity to learn the languages mentioned above before entering a bachelor’s programme.
Why study in Bulgaria
- Great higher education: Sofia Medical University and Plovdiv Medical University are always ranked among the top medical universities in Europe and certificates and diplomas issued in the country are recognized internationally.
- Universities in Bulgaria also offer affordable tuition fees.
- Living in Bulgaria is a lot cheaper in comparison to living in other European cities.
- While studying in Bulgaria you will get the opportunity to also work. Students who are going to study medicine in Bulgaria are free to do their internship years anywhere across the EU and other countries as well.
Cost of Tuition
Tuition fees can vary depending on the university, course and language. Did you know studying in the Bulgarian language is cheaper than in English?
Bachelor’s Degree: Between 2,900 – 3,900Euros
Master’s Degree: Between 3,000 – 3,900Euros
Doctorate Degree: Between 4,000 – 8,000Euros
How do I apply to study in Bulgaria?
Start by choosing a degree program that is right for you. Select the level of studies you are looking for (bachelor, master, PhD), and your field of study.
Relevant documents for admission screening include:
- International Passport / Passport Authentication
- Passport Photographs (6)
- Sponsorship Letter (Notarized)
- Bank statement and reference Letter
- Any qualified high school certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Academic References (2)
- High School Testimonial and Transcripts (SS 1-3)
- Medical Certificate
- Police Clearance
- Personal Statement
- Translation of Documents
- University Certificate and transcripts (Masters only)
How do I apply for a Visa to study in Bulgaria?
Students who are not EU/EEA residents must apply for a Bulgarian Student Visa (D-type Visa) that is valid for three to six months. To apply for a student visa, you are obligated to meet the following requirements:
- Photocopy of a passport (that is valid for at least a year)
- Acceptance letter from the University
- Medical insurance
- Colored photo ID
- Ticket booking confirmation
- Proof that tuition fee has been paid